Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gettin Re-Orientated and Stuff

At the end of January, we left Tucson for 5 days to go to Aptos, California. Why does this town sound familiar? Oh yeah, that's because we had Orientation there too! And it was surprisingly about the same temperature even tho Orientation was in August and Re-Orientation was in January! Ok this one was a little colder, but not by much!

Annnyywayyyy so I was expecting it to...well...suck. But it didn't! It was kinda good! (not great, still had to sleep on the cots and be around like 80 people constantly) but it was good. The beach is soo pretty! I miss it living here in the desert...And it was also a great time to reflect on the year so far. We're halfway done!

Before Re-O, I think the four of us were stressing about what to do next year. Not that we aren't anymore, but I felt like after Re-O, we all came away with a little excitement over the opportunities. We have all decided to at least consider a second year of JVC. I am thinking of doing a year in the Northwest (maybe Seattle?) because it's close to home, but would still be far enough away that I could be present in the community there and not get too distracted. I have really enjoyed this year so far--my job, living simply, and in community. I think another year would be great! I'm also torn though because living in Portland sounds really good too. So, for now I have decided to apply to JVC Northwest and I might change my mind later!

Yeah...Re-O was fun. The best parts were sitting on the beach, playing games and hanging out with the other houses, and being in the rain. Yeah I'm weird--I miss rain haha. Oh and another thing was I got to go back to Santa Clara! So weird not being a student there anymore! But I went to the Bronco and saw Cora! And then in the morning I had breakfast with Rachel!! That was awesome!

Now, I'm back at work. It's going pretty well. We got 20 netbook computers through a grant for the school, so I have been busy setting those up (2 per classroom) and teaching still. I'm not tutoring as much anymore since Title 1 has started for both reading and math. I'll miss my little tutor groups, but now I'll have more time for the other random projects that get thrown my way:) Right now I'm struggling with Microsoft Excel trying to figure out how to graph something without gaps in the x axis. Maybe I'll call my Dad...

And the kids are as cute as ever. I missed work on Monday because I was sick, which meant I didn't get to teach pre-k again. They are soo cute I miss them :( But I'm teaching 1st grade today, and they are (usually) good. Little Anthony V. came running up to me today as I walked into school. He said "Hey Miss Devlin! Do we have computers today? And I said yep! And he goes "Yes! I LOVE COMPUTERS! And going to the library. That's fun too!" Aw little Anthony. So adorable.

So, yeah. I also got to see Bob and Kathryn on Friday, that was really nice~ We went to dinner and had some tasty pizza. A whole buncha the Devlin family is flying in next week, so that should be exciting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment