Friday, June 24, 2011

"homemade" food "from scratch"

These are concepts related to food that were pretty much foreign to me until this year. Sure, I made the occasional vegetarian dish during Thanksgiving or helped out someone in the kitchen, but in high school my dad made most of my meals and in college my cooking skills were limited to a stir fry here and a pasta dish there. I never made any bread from scratch, I had never even thought of making my own veggie burgers!!!
So, I've slowly gotten better at cooking this year. On Monday I made homemade lentil burgers with buns from scratch and sweet potato fries!!!I started with the buns, made from 100% whole wheat flour. They are really quick to make and they taste great! Here is the recipe.Next I made the vegan lentil burgers. They also have carrots and onions in them, I added red pepper since we had some. The hardest part I think was making the bread crumbs from toast. I also had to crush the oats myself. And, they don't have an egg in them to hold together, but they still worked out pretty well! The here's the recipe.

The sweet potato fries had a mixture of garlic, cilantro, oregano, salt and pepper on them and although they might not have been completely baked when I was done making the other food, they still tasted pretty good! The recipe is here if you scroll down!So, this is what the final product looked like!! And it tasted great too, so....success!

Now, I'm addicted to making food from scratch and I love recipes! I can't wait to add more meals to the list of things I can make! :)

1 comment: